Friday, July 18, 2008

The Garden Box

I learned about this site from a friend who is about to have a baby and wanted to keep all her friends and family up to date with info and pictures. I thought this was a good idea because we have family spread out all over and thought this would be a great way to let everyone know what is going on here at our house.

I just could not figure out how to get started and then I decided to start our blog with news from the garden. As many of you know, we love to sit outside and watch the birds that come to the feeders, but Russ also likes the back yard filled with flowers. Especially flowers that hummingbirds would like. So any room in the back brick area is reserved for flowers .

I wanted to grow some other things this year so I decided to use a old desk as a big container to grow some veggies in. I asked Russ to help ( he thought it was silly) and he put a bottom on it, filled it with dirt , and added wheels so we could push it inside the garage on cold days or wherever we wanted to on the patio. I really overfilled it, but added three tomato plants, four red pepper, two green beans, basil and one spacemaster cucumber plant, all started in the basement in April. We had our first cucumber a week ago and green beans this week for dinner. I affectionately call it "salad in a box".


Here is what it looked like on May 30th.







And now July 18th.







No comments: